Citymobil is a major research, development and demonstration project. It addresses the integration of automated transport systems in the urban environment, based on real-life implementations of automated transport systems in 3 sites: Semi-automated buses in Castellon (Spain), PRT (Personal Rapid Transit) in Heathrow (UK) and cybercars in Rome (Italy).
Citymobil will achieve a more effective organisation of urban transport. This will result in a more rational use of motorised traffic resulting in:
- less congestion and pollution;
- safer driving;
- higher quality of living;
- enhanced integration with spatial development.
The project is funded through the European Commission's 6th Framework Program.
- Start date: May 1st 2006
- End date: April 30 2011 (+ 8 months extension under discussion)
- Total budget: >40M€
- European Commission's grant (6FP) : 11M€
Sub-project 1: Demonstrations
WP.3 Vehicles and Technological issues